Thursday, February 3, 2011

Drinking problem VS. Unwinding after a long work week. You Choose your choice.

I don't know what everyone thinks about kicking back a few at the end of the work week. Maybe smoking a cigarette or two. Unwinding. Decompressing. Chilling the fuck out.
I'm guilty of it. I do it almost every weekend now, which worries me. Am I trying to relive my college years? Am I not over the fact that I'm officially "over the hill" as some might put it? That the jig, is in fact, up for me, and my friends at that?
Now, I wouldn't venture to say I have a drinking problem. I don't think about alcohol the second I wake up. I don't particularly enjoy drinking every day. I don't even have wine with dinner, unless I'm at a friends and they have wine at at their place. In that case, I'll indulge in a glass or two.
It's just that, I know how I look at people who are older than me, say 29, 30, 31. At that point in my life, I would have liked to figure some of this shit out. Maybe have a path that seems sort of right. In other words, I don't want to be the girl that gets drunk every weekend still, because she's washed up and pathetic and has nothing better to do with her sad pathetic life.
Now, obviously, I've expressed these fears with some of my friends, and they immediately shoot me down, insisting that if this is a legitimate fear of mine, then it won't actually happen because I'm incredibly too aware of myself to let it. Maybe they're right. Maybe they're wrong. Maybe they don't want me to stop drinking because if I do, they'll have one less person to party with. Maybe I'm a paranoid psychopath that needs to calm the fuck down.
What better way to do that, than with a cocktail.
Am I right?
I knew this post would be futile.
Happy Thursday, we're all one day older. That sucks.

1 comment:

  1. i think if you're aware of this to the point that you're seriously worried about it, that you'll be able to control it enough that it won't get out of hand. from my own experience with people in my life, i've observed that people with addictions tend to ignore and deny the fact that they have a problem. that is clearly the opposite of what you're doing here, so i don't think you have a drinking problem, from what you're saying here. i wouldn't consider you "over the hill" either. we're still in our early 20s...that's barely a dent in our overall probable lifespans. we're still young, so i think we have a right to enjoy our lives in whatever way we so choose, as long as we don't hurt anyone or ourselves :)

    p.s. i miss you.

    ReplyDelete